What's Really In Our Food? documentary on TV3

New Zealanders eat a cocktail of food additives every day but don’t realise that many of these additives are banned overseas, and we could be putting ourselves and our families at risk. Inside New Zealand investigates What’s Really In Our Food? screening Thursday, June 28th at 8:30pm

Take a look at the ingredient list of your favourite snack food, and try to pronounce some of those multi-syllabic words. Do you know what soy lecithin, monosodium glutamate and sodium benzoate are?

With such massive chemical adulteration of the food we eat today, we are left asking: how safe is this chemical soup we call our ‘groceries’?

More than 4,000 additives are added to the food we eat in New Zealand compared with the 3,000 added to foods sold throughout North America.

Even the standard kiwi breakfast is chemical rich; our cereals, breads and drinks are full of artificial colours, sweeteners, preservatives and flavours, all of which independent experts say are behind an explosion of modern illnesses.

But what is even more worrying is that many of these additives are banned overseas. Like the food colouring amaranth. It has been linked to asthma, skin rashes and hyperactivity and is banned in many foreign countries.

Inside New Zealand dissects a typical Kiwi family’s diet, focusing on the amount of additives they consume and the health risks, while also demonstrating the psychology behind the use of additives and why food manufacturers use them.

Case studies reveal food additives that are responsible for debilitating illnesses or long term suffering, and in each case, they have reduced or eliminated the additives from their diet and experienced a remarkable improvement in their health.

Tune in to the eye opening documentary Inside New Zealand: What’s Really In Our Food?, screening TV3 Thursday, June 28th at 8:30pm

Comments

1. Heather says:

WHY WAS THIS DOCO NOT SCREENED AS PROMISED???!!! IS TV3 BOWING TO PRESSURE FROM THE FOOD INDUSTRY? THIS IS ESSENTIAL INFORMATION FOR EVERY KIWI FAMILY TO BE AWARE OF – WHY WAS IT NOT SCREENED?

2. Rees says:

What was the name of the book used in the programme that has the list of additives please?

3. Sharlene de Seymour says:

Is there anyway of obtaining the copies of the lists of additives etc that were shown on the show to be harmful?

4. Marjan says:

please let me know what was the name of the book used in programme?(the red one)

5. Tina Frater says:

Can I please know the name of the red book used in the programme and where can I get one. Also can we get a list of the addictives that were shown on the show?

6. marie anstiss says:

great show please show programme again-id like to watch it earlier with my daughter and partner

7. marie anstiss says:

also would like the name of the book used

8. Sol Atkinson says:

I didn’t see the programme but have been told that the book was called ” The Chemical Maze” by Bill Statham You can get it from here.

Some copies are newer editions so the cover is yellow not red but its the same book

Unfortunately http://www.goodbooksnz.co.nz does not have it…

If any one knows where i can watch the programme online i would really like to know.

9. Graham Dawson says:

I missed the program, but have had very posative feedback about it. Any way of getting a copy.

10. alissa smith says:

there is a list of food addditives on the green party website. just click on the “safe food” campaign and then click “food aditives, your questions answered”. Hope this helps

11. vibeke says:

The Chemical Maze by Bill Stratham his the book referenced in the doco. (see TV3 website)

12. leonie mitchell says:

good morning.
    I am very interested in a copy of the programme: What’s in our food. Please!!!. many thanks.

13. Gwen Allen says:

This is a great website that I have found very helpful concerning food additives and safe foods. Sue Dengate is pushing hard to get food additives out of foods. This is Australian based but relevant to us as well in NZ
    The website: http://www.cs.nsw.govt.au/rpa/allergy – from the Royal Prince Albert Hospital is also very good

14. Gwen Allen says:

http://fedupwithfoodadditives.info/ is Sue Dengates website

15. Aaron Livingston says:

I watched this program it was great and very informative. I would love a copy of the program, can I download it, has anybody got a copy or know how to get hold of it. Thanks

16. Elizabeth says:

Can you please terll me the name of the book with the additives in

17. Angela says:

This would be a brilliant resource for Food & Nutrition education. Is there anyway of getting a copy of the programme and details of book regarding additives.
    Cheers

18. PROGRAMME NOTES:
    The book referenced during the show was ‘The Chemical Maze – Your guide to food additives and cosmetic ingredients’ by author Bill Stratham.

The copy of the book used for the show was sourced from Naturally Organic – http://www.naturallyorganic.co.nz – or (09) 914 2026

Alternatively you could contact Pathfinder Bookshop – http://www.pathfinder.co.nz – or (09) 379 0147 or 0800 55 44 55.

For a list of the potentially harmful additives, visit the tv3.co.nz website

19. RObyn Hand says:

Hi! How can I get a copy of this programme please? Are you going to repeat it at any stage? Thanks.

20. Brett Steele says:
  21. Kate Brock says:

Can anyone tell me the food additive which appeared to cause the IBS?

22. Rivka says:

I unfortunately had to miss it the other night – is it going to be repeated or can I watch it elsewhere????

23. Rachel says:

I would like to know why oysters make me feel intoxicated or giddy?